Thursday, March 18, 2010

TOP SECRET II

I was planning on the second portion of the layout with my turtle...it started out I was going to just use a big dinosaur head and thought it would have worked out okay...


But I wasn't really happy with it...as a matter of fact the more I looked at it the more I thought...wow...that stinks...and after watching DinoShark on SyFY this past weekend I am pretty sharp on what terrible is...

While in the middle of talking to a student a new and hopefully more exciting idea hit me...the finished pic just popped in my head. So I spent a couple of day sketching it out and figuring placement of characters. I did some rough drawings and cut them out in photoshop to work out a bit more of the details. I wasn't worried too much about the arms at this point only the general mass of the group.


Once I got that generally sketched I decided to draw all the characters involved even though there tends to be a bit of overlapping with the composition. It may seem like more work now, but I've learned it is better to draw everything and be able to make slight or even major adjustments...in times past when I would on draw the visible areas I've gotten caught when I've had to move objects...for the most part I believe I am okay with these although I'll have to upgrade the detail work a bit.





The final product will be zoomed in, but by doing all the creatures I think I will be able to make a poster where I can have it zoomed out and show everything...trying for dramatic compositions or doing the cards makes me feel like I'm not keeping in practice with creating the whole...then you get accused of not being able to draw anything but floating heads and half bodies...of course I now have to go back and finish the lower portion of the turtle that is a floating half body...the one episode of Star Trek the Next Generation I accidentally watched they gave kids a 'wand' that could read their mind and some sort of laserish light would create the art merely by their thoughts...can't wait for that Wacom update to come out....

No comments: